Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Shelly's Craft Shack

I'm a browser.  And I'm pretty nosy.  So one day in my browsing nosiness I came across some pretty cool pages and such on Facebook.  Mainly it was a bunch of things I wanted but can't afford.  After awhile when I was close to giving up on finding anything that I could either buy or make myself (this translates into my baby was probably crawling way too close to a cabinet door or about shove a handfull of paper into his mouth or diaper so I had to get off the computer) I finally came across a picture.  This picture:




I thought...hmmm...this sounds like my family.  I clicked on the seller's profile and found myself chuckling, ooohing, and a bit of aaaahing.  She has a little bit of everything and after sending her a few emails I was able to learn that she is just as wonderful as her work.


Shelly began crafting at the age of 15 with her grandfather, their specialty being clocks and furniture.  I was quite jealous to hear this as I'm really not a "dangerous tool user" kind of gal.  When I was 15 I signed up for a woodshop class in highschool.  As soon as the teacher came in the first day he took me to the side and asked me to please, please, please transfer to something a bit "safer."  Shelly's story is much more sentimental than mine. 


After Shelly's grandfather passed away she stopped the woodworking.  When she was pregnant with her twins she worked for a company called Miss Martha's Originals, painting little figurines from home.  Now that her children are grown and Shelly is taking care of her mother, who has alzheimers, she has begun her new project, Shelly's Craft Shack, as a hobby.




Every item I have seen by Shelly is adorable.  As a bonus she's thrify.  A lot of what she makes is made out of scraps.  This helps her keep her prices super low (I've yet to see anything over $10!).  The best part?  Every time you purchase something from Shelly she will donate 20% of it to the Alzheimers Foundation.  This is something Shelly does with heart as she has lost her Granny, an aunt, and an uncle to alzheimers and is now helping her mother as she suffers from it.



For the time being Shelly can be contacted on her Facebook page, Shelly's Craft Shack.  Thank you Shelly for sharing your work and story with us!












1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete