Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I have succesfully made a pie only once.  It was a delicious apple pie that everyone in the family loved.  The crust was perfect!  Since then, I haven't made anything that needed a crust unless it was store bought.  I am TERRIFIED of ruining a good meal because I trashed the crust.  This of course means that I have never made a chicken pot pie until I gave up the ideals of it being completely homemade.  So this pot pie is my first attempt and it came out really well.  Store bought crust is never as good as a homemade one, but it did it's job and the family enjoyed dinner.  I suppose it's time that I practice making a good pie crust but until then store bought will suffice.  Get over it.



Recipe:

1 refrigerated pie crust/shell, top and bottom (or homemade for you show offs)
1 to 2 cups of shredded or cubed chicken
2 cans of chicken gravy (or one jar)
2 stalks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, cubed
veggies of your choice -- we were actually out of frozen peas which is what I wanted so I made do with just frozen corn and black eyed peas.  Kind of weird, but hey, it was still good.

In a large pot boil all the veggies until tender.  Drain.  Add the gravy and chicken and season as needed.  Lightly grease a casserole dish and place the bottom crust into the dish.  Pour gravy mix into the crust and top with upper pie shell.  Pinch upper and lower together and fork.  Brush a small amount of butter over shell and then cut a few slits.  Cook as directed for crust.


No comments:

Post a Comment