Thursday, June 21, 2012

Goulash (that's actually good)

Goulash seems to be one of those words that strikes fear in people.  It just sounds...nasty.  I suppose a lot of parents would combine whatever they could find in their cabinets, mix it together, and call it goulash hoping their kids would believe it was a real meal and eat the crud.  That doesn't fly in my house (or on my plate).  If I won't eat it then I don't expect my kids to eat it.  I'm a firm believer that kids need to eat balanced meals that aren't just meeting their nutritional needs.  It needs to TASTE good, too.  So, here comes my goulash.  I took the original recipe from a Kraft magazine I think, but changed it up to meet my requirements. 



Recipe:
1 lb ground beef
1 can low sodium tomato soup
2 cans diced tomatoes (no salt added, don't drain)
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 bag of egg noodles
onion powder (or a real onion if you like, but Josh isn't a fan of onions)
garlic salt
pepper

Cook hamburger, drain.  In a large sauce pan add soup, tomatoes, bell pepper, and seasoning into hamburger and let simmer.  Meanwhile, cook the egg noodles.  Drain and mix with hamburger mix. 

That's it.  Not only is it good, but it probably takes 20-30 minutes to make and everyone likes it (well at least in our family.  Even the baby had two servings!).

No comments:

Post a Comment