Thursday, May 31, 2012

Whole Wheat Pancakes

We are a pancake family.  I think this translates as "we have kids therefore we eat pancakes."  Usually we just get the boxed mix and add water or milk or occasionally buy the frozen kind.  But then I discovered whole wheat pancakes.  There are recipes EVERYWHERE for whole wheat pancakes.  I of course combined recipes, added a little of this, took away a little of that, and came up with my own.  The result was an incredibly yummy (and healthy!) pancake...if not a little on the flat side.  Nothing terrible...I suppose they came out 'normal' but we tend to have huge fluffy pancakes normally.  I may convert to these new ones.  They don't sit heavy on your stomach like you'd expect but they are filling.  The best part is the kids will eat them without caring that they're healthy.  To them it's just pancakes.

My little girl also mastered how to make pancakes today as a side note.  I'm so proud!  She was even able to pour them, wait for the perfect time to flip, and even flipped them!  Yay Elora!


On to the recipe:

2 eggs
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Whisk the first four ingredients until frothy.  In a seperate bowl (or carefully on top of the liquids and sugar mix...I hate doing extra dishes) combine the dry ingredients and then mix into liquids mix until relatively smooth.  Don't over stir.  Then cook them like usual.  This makes about 18 pancakes.  We always freeze the leftovers for easy access when the kids want more pancakes and I don't feel up to making them.


2 comments:

  1. yummy, I am going to try these! Another idea I like is using sprouted flour, helps a lot with digestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of it. Will definitely look into it. Thank you Jessica!

      Delete