Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Sloppy joes are one of those super easy meals that I think everyone likes.  If you don't like them, there's probably something wrong with you.  Just saying.  We used to just buy the pre-made canned kind where all you did was dump it in a pot along with a pound or two of hamburger and heat it up.  Recently I came across two different recipes that sounded really good, but made completely different.  I'm not one for being patient so I combined the two to make Super Homemade Sloppy Joes.  All they need now are man-tights and a matching cape.

Recipe:

1 to 2 lbs of hamburger (I just used one pound)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
1 cup ketchup
1 cup barbecue sauce (I used hickory smoked)
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Season to taste (I used garlic salt, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin)

Brown and drain the hamburger, add all the ingredients and mix.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer for at least 20 minutes.  You could also make this in a crockpot on low for probably 5 to 6 hours.  Don't forget to warm your hamburger buns in the oven before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment