Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Crock Pot Apple Sauce

I know, I know.  It's not fall yet.  So why am I indulging in fall foods?  Because I can.  I also really really really love fall.  Combine that with needing new ideas to make healthy foods from scratch that the kids can consider a "treat" and you (well, me) come up with homemade apple sauce.  Since I have I toddler wreaking complete havoc on the house and our maid (me) was on strike yesterday (she's pretty lazy and tempermental when she finds it best suits her) I thought it would be best to use the crock pot. 

I started with 6 gala apples finely chopped and thrown into the pot.

In a small bowl I added 1/2 cup of water, one tablespoon of brown sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon, and nearly a 1/2 tablespoon give or take of vanilla extract.  Stir it up together and then pour over the apples.
 
 
Throw the lid on a cook on low for 4-5 hours.
 
I then spoon it into the food processor until it reached the consistency I wanted. 
 
Then the kids and me ate about half of it before pouring the rest into a jar.  :) 
 
 
 I imagine it would be super pretty and festive with a bow or a flower or something, but in all reality this jar is going in our fridge so there's no point.

The applesauce should last a few days in the fridge but next time I might double the batch and put it in some freezer bags and freeze (it'll last about three months). 

Entire cost to make this? No more than $5.  :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment